The Process of Bonding: How Cockatomas Affix
Today I went to the bird store for Harrison's Hi-Po and got to see the first step in the cockatoma bonding process.
The cockatoo in question was Simon, an eight-month-old (toddler!) umbrella cockatoo. He was fully feathered but already starting to pluck a little bit. He was sitting out on a playstand for some active time, and as soon as he saw me and realized I was a potential cockatoo host, he started cooing "Hiiiii!" at me and leaning toward me--looming!--and clutching at me with his little zygodactyl foot.
Unwarily, I got closer. Simon flared his crest and said "Hi!" again. I moved closer again, offering scritches. And then--WHAM! He made his move! Simon grabbed hold of my arm and snuggled in, squirming his way closer to my body.
Knowing the danger of allowing these extremely cute creatures too close, I tried putting Simon back on his playstand after some cuddling. Nothin' doing. He quickly leapt off the stand again, cheerily saying, "Hi!" and trying to fuse to me another time.
This went on for a few rounds, until finally I told Simon he would have to graft himself to someone else, bought the food, and made a hasty retreat. This time, I got away, but one must never underestimate the sticking power of a cockatoo.

1 Comments:
That is why cockatoos are called "velcro birds"...*giggle*. I too, am a human playstand for my fids. It is quite dangerous for me to go in a bird store - my hubby had to pry me out of the store once when I fell in love with another little baby Goffin. He got me out of there just in the nick of time!
Post a Comment
<< Home