I am catnip for the crazy
I have been getting all the blatantly crazy clients at work lately. If a floridly delusional client is going to go off the deep end, I get them. The funny thing is they all get tossed my way because they all like me. I am catnip to the crazy. They like me, and they all want to tell me things that are very important to them, like how the Buddha satellite planted by the Trilaterals is spying on their bedroom trying to catch them masturbating; or how their safety absolutely depends on having all their lights off by ten so that the UFOs can't see them.
They like me because I let them spin out their paranoia and grandiosity and I just say, "Uh huh," "I see,"and other fillers, and then I re-direct them into what they have to do to satisfy their conditions--usually, med management with a psychiatrist. I never challenge a delusion; it just doesn't work. My co-workers sometimes forget that.

2 Comments:
That is exactly like working with Alzheimer's patients! You just go with whatever they think is going on.
The craziest by far is also the best armed. I am glad he likes me. He's a decent fellow, bit of a control freak, but basically good-hearted--but whack-a-doodle!
Post a Comment
<< Home