Monday, March 10, 2008

Stealth Zucchinis

I have been feeling very squirrel-like lately, feeling urges to hide caches of supplies in various places and buy things like water distillation kits and compasses. Like A.E. housman, I have always been convinced on a bone-deep level that trouble is coming; and for me the trouble I imagine most easily is a hyper-inflationary depression, which I have been predicting since the '80s. My squirrelling tendencies come and go, usually causing nothing beyond a waxing and waning of my pantry and my first-aid kit. This year, though, I decided I'd feel better with a garden of my own. The only problem is I do not own any land to plant this garden in, so I have been stealthily poking zucchini seeds down into the little wasted pieces of ground around the ditch and the sides of the building. I chose zucchini because it is the most prolific source of food I know, and the vines, once they get growing, are darn near unstoppable. I figure all I need is for two or three of my stealth zucchini plants to grow to yield, and I'll have a nutritious supplement to the 25-lb bag of rice and the numerous cans of beans I have stockpiled. I will probably start a patch ortwo of stealth nasturtiums, as well, because they are so nutrient-dense and make a good seasoning. Oh, and did you know kudzu is edible?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home