What lives in the ditch behind the apartment complex?
The ditch is full of minnows, and there are no tadpoles. I haven't been able to get a good look at the minnows, but in profile they resemble guppies or mollies rather than the fry of larger fish or sticklebacks. The minnows are so plentiful that the surface of the water roils as if from rain when they feed on gnats at night.
Where there are fish here in Florida there are fishing birds. So far I have seen a Great Egret (huge!), a Great Blue Heron, and an American Bittern. The egret, a magnificent tall white bird, looks like it would be so much fun to hug and cuddle, but I bet it wouldn't like that...
I also saw a soft-shelled turtle in the water.

1 Comments:
You should take pictures of all this wildlife and post them to your blog (said by your sister who has no idea how to use her digital camera to do the same).
Post a Comment
<< Home